Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Champagne, mojitos, margaritas,and Calexico


Last nights Calexico show at Joe’s Pub was a blast. The night started out with two bottle of champagne and a multitude of appetizers. By the time Calexico came on I had moved onto margaritas and mojitos. Calexico’s hour set was great, however the band did seem start off a little slow. But by the end of their hour-long set they were on fire. The set ended with their cover of Love’s “Alone Again or”. It is at this point that I need to explain that one of my friends that I attended this show with is a huge Calexico fan and one of his favorite songs is “Not Even Stevie Nicks”. Fortunately my friend Dave has good concert etiquette and refused to yell for the long. However this didn’t stop him from offering 20 dollars to anyone who yelled for the song. Now the two other people we were sitting were far to shy to yell for a song so this just left me. I am the kind of person that never yells for songs nor am I the kind of person that does dumb things for 20 dollars. I find it extremely tacky and poor concert etiquette to yell out your favorite song. But last night we were having so much fun and I found the idea of disrupting the formal setting of Joe’s Pub to be quite a challenge. So to cut to the case at the very end of Calexico's set I yelled “Not Even Stevie Nicks” to which Joey Burns replied back “When are we playing here next?” to which multiple members of the crowd all yelled back in unison “No NOT EVEN STEVIE NICKS!” To which Joey Burns replied “O.K I guess we have time for two more.” The band then went into a great version of the song. After the show while we were finishing our drinks and waiting for the check Dave went to the bathroom and bumped in to Joey backstage. Dave thanked them for playing and Joey Burns then thanked Dave for requesting “Not Even Stevie Nicks". The moral of this story is that two bottle of Champagne, mojitos, margaritas, tall boy B-Weisers and two bottles of wine can make we disregard the concert rules I have lived by for the past 15 years of my life.
Calexico
Calexico
Calexico
See more photos from Joe's Pub here
See photos from Calexico and Iron and Wine's show at Webster Hall here
Brooklyn Vegan went to the late show check out his picutres and review here.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review, nice pics, nice blog. I've read other bloggers posit the 'no request' rule and I have to disagree. First of all, we're (presumably) at a rock concert, not the philharmonic. A lot of times, last night being on example, the band will feed off the audience and adjust the setlist to accomodate a request. It think they're often happy to make someones night, especially if that person has made a sign or something.
I stick to one rule in this regard, which is to limit my request yelling to BETWEEN SONGS only. Yelling (or blathering) while the band we've all paid to HEAR (or at least I've paid to hear) really bursts my buttons.

But I don't see anything wrong with shouting out a request while the band's tuning or wondering what clever quip they can make between songs, as long as I'm not getting repetitive or blasting out the eardrums of those around me. But I guess I'm probably more conscientious than the average "FREEBIRD!" yahoo.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger danfun said...

Hey max,
Perhaps you are right. I also believe there are are exceptions to every rule.

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought this show was rather boring and adult contemporary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home