Monday, January 16, 2006

Go see Akron/Family!


There were a lot of great concerts scheduled on Saturday night here in NYC. The list included Sufjan Stevens at the Allen room (which I had a ticket to but sold), Alec Ounsworth at Tonic, and The Nebraska Project at the Winter Garden to name a few. Usually on nights like this it is very hard for me to decide what show to go to, but I had no problem this past Saturday because the Akron/Family were playing at the Knitting Factory. Now I am sure that a lot these other concerts were great, but I doubt any of them had the energy or power of the Akron/Family. The four headed rock beast that is Akron/Family took the stage shortly after midnight and didn't stop rocking until 3 am. I have seen Akron/Family perform seven times now and Saturday was by far the best. They have perfected their heavy psychedelic, folk, noise rock to create a sound all their own. The show had everything that I could ask for, including soaring jams, noise rock experiments, and hushed lo fi folk. Young God Records founder and mister Angles of Light, Michael Gira could be seen cheering on and supporting this proteges through out most of the concert. Michael has described the Akron/Family as "gentle American country folk to unabashed electronic noise to gathering and erupting crescendos, to extended skronk improvisations that then suddenly cut to an LSD version of a backwoods barbershop quartet or a Louvin Brothers spiritual‚ sometimes all within the course of one ridiculously long song"(from young God Records website). I personally couldn't agree more with this description. The Akron/Family are currently on tour with Mi and L'au so go see them!
Akron/Family
Akron/Family
See more photos here
Dowloads: Angels of Light & Akron/Family dylan pt 2

16 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger katy Horan said...

More like a 4-headed PSYCHEDELIC rock beast! Gosh, get your mythical rock-monssters straight! Just kidding:)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Great pics (as usual)!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger danfun said...

Thanks Satisfied '75. I really dig your site. I added it to my links recently. Keep up the great posts.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics, Dan. What a killer show...I hope they play in the city again soon!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger jerry yeti said...

They didn't do it for me. Some of the jams were a bit long winded. Some of the oddness was for oddity's sake. I couldn't see shit because the band was sitting down and the short guy right in front of me wouldn't stop poking his head in front of me everytime I did get a clear view.

Even so, when they have vocals, it's amazing to hear the harmonies. As performers, they can be pretty intense.

Just not my thing overall I guess.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger danfun said...

Yeti I can understand your complaints about the oddness of oddity's sake. ihave not seen them that weird but I liked it. I would definely say that Akron/Family's jamming style is not for everyone, however it really is my thing.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger danfun said...

Hey Freshbread, I think they will play NYC in march becasue they are slated to play in NJ on March 24.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice...that part of march is looking to be quite hectic w/ Jose Gonzalez, Animal collective, Arctic Monkeys, and others all playing b/t the 22 and 25th.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous is me....oops!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger danfun said...

yeah March is going to be insane. I just confirmed my trip to SXSW. My first time going and super stoked.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Dub said...

What type of equipment are you using for your digital pictures? Also, do you have a press pass or anything when you are at the shows for access and what not? Just curious....love the shots.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger danfun said...

Hey dub, I use two cameras a Nikon D50 and a Nikon Cool Pix 4300. I don't have a press pass but sure would like one.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Dub said...

Hey man, thanks for the information. Are you using a fill flash at all with the D50?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger danfun said...

I do use a fill flash somtimes but not always. I try to use a flash as little a possible mostly because I go to shows to have fun and not to distract the musician with my flash.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Dub said...

Cool, thanks for the information. You've got some really nice shots that freeze the action nicely, while still keeping the natural look of the stage lights. I'm assuming that you must also be shooting at about a 400 ISO or higher.

Big Ups - Dub

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you seen grizzly bear danfun. they stand, and aren't quite as frenetic, but their harmonies soar even higher, but I love akron/family as well...

ideally they should play together, but i missed that benefit show when they did

 

Post a Comment

<< Home